Sunday, May 30, 2010

CURRY AGAIN

When I first got here I found a bag of chickpeas for relatively cheap, and thought I should buy them because my healthy mother uses them quite often. Since that purchase I've had a hard time remembering what exactly she cooks with chickpeas. I've experimented a few times. It hasn't been bad. About a month ago I cooked a pot of chickpeas and couldn't think of anything to use them on so I put them in the freezer and then moved them to the fridge this week, thinking some great idea would come to mind.

We like cheap food around here. My house mate, Katie, bought 25 kilos of potatoes off some farmer a few weeks ago for only 5 euros. Most of you reading this don't use kilos, so in case you have no conception of how much that is... over 50 pounds. She split them between herself and two other people and we STILL have a bucket of small potatoes in the cupboard which are determinedly putting out small creepy-looking fingers. My other housemate, Sarah, and I almost ate them for dinner last night, but decided they looked too much like fetuses. Disgusted, we ate toast.

Today, though, I was very bored about dinner time and struck upon a hopeful theory that anything can be curried. Anything. I had ultimate faith in this idea even though I've never tried to curry a single thing. Open Google. Curry recipe. Curry chickpeas. How convenient.
I made the sauce, opened my container of chickpeas, and was greeted by stench. OH NO. They were covered in small bubbles, pale and slimy. But, Oh well, I thought, We still have multitudes of potatoes.

I have to tell you though, now that the dishes are washed and I'm sitting here with a jar of Nutella, potatoes don't curry. Don't try it.

2 comments:

  1. HA. Like the time I thought that lunchmeat and cream cheese would be good on a leftover crepe. Not so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm drinking ice coffee and thinking of you! Thanks for the post card....

    BTW, I have had excellent curried potatoes (boiled) mixed with carrots and beef, don't give up on the idea entirely, however, I think we can all safely retire the idea of lunchmeat on a leftover crepe - althougn one could easily believe cream cheese would redeem the concept.
    Oh well, back to sipping delectably sweet, cold coffee and toiling over cumbersome expense reports.

    ReplyDelete

Find Something.......